Monday, May 16, 2016

La Musique

         When I was younger I would listen to whatever my music my parents would play. This consisted of a lot of oldies and one gypsy kings album that my dad had an inexplicable love for. As I got older I wanted to listen to the songs my friends listened too, mainly those which were commonly played on the radio. I’ve used the same iTunes account since the fifth grade, slowly adding songs with iTunes gift cards I’ve received as gifts for birthdays and holidays. I bought songs that I liked that I’d heard on the radio, tv shows or YouTube videos, my library slowly growing each year. The discovery of Pandora was a revolution that showed me many terrific songs and artists.

            The past year or so, I’ve kept an eye out for new music coming from artists whose past music I’ve liked. When one of them is releasing a new album, I’ll listen to it as soon as I can, hoping to expand the list of music I like. What I’ve noticed is that I often won’t like an album the first one or two times that I listen to it; it takes a few run-throughs to start to realize which songs stand out. Coloring Book, an album Chance the Rapper released late last week, was just like this. The first time I listened through the album I didn’t really like it at all, but the more I listened to it the more it’s grown on me. As is expected, there are a few songs on the album that I really don’t like much, but a majority of the songs are very catchy and all-around awesome, so I’m glad I gave the album a chance to show me it’s true beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment