Every person has a few aspects of themselves
that stick out to other people more than most things. This could be a style of
clothing, ear/nose/lip/etc. piercing, tattoo or hairstyle, to name a few. When
I was little, I used to always get buzzcuts because it was a quick and easy
haircut. As I grew older, I didn’t like how they looked very much and decided
to grow my hair out. After a few years of this, I decided I didn’t like the
bangs in the front, so I began spiking up the hair in the front. I really liked
this haircut, and have been doing it ever since. I have been told many times
that my hair sticks out, and that people really like it. Yesterday, my friend
Nathan (who also has a rather distinct hair cut) and I decided to shave our
heads for the post-season tournament our soccer team is in.
When I came into school the next
day, a lot of my friends and teachers were surprised at the change, some
pleased and some angry. I think my haircut had become a part of me and my
personality, so when I cut it off it was difficult for some of my friends to
recognize me. I felt not different, other than a little colder while walking
into school in the morning. I would often forget that my hair was gone, until
someone would make a comment and I would remember. Overall, it was really cool
to see the difference in how you view yourself and how others view you. Also,
it was cool to see how big of an effect our appearance has on others and the
way they view us. So, reader, what is a significant characteristic of yours,
and what would happen if you suddenly changed it?
When I moved from Seattle to Boston, I went from a place where I was surrounded by people I knew to a place full of strangers. Seattle was a place where I was comfortable and free to express myself freely, and at first, Boston was a place where I felt every move I made as the 'new kid' was critiqued and judged. I soon developed a tendency to not speak or act unless absolutely necessary. Some people may think that it's simply shyness, but I believe that it's truly rooted in the transition from comfort to discomfort. This reserved temperament still exists to today: I refrain from raising my hand in class, I don't speak unless called upon, and I don't share things about myself all that openly. I have worked on these things as I have grown into the town of Reading and become comfortable: I speak a lot more than I used to and I am a lot more open with myself than I used to be. However, I believe that if I suddenly showed my true self that I only show in true comfort some people would accept it but some people would be put off by it. A few years ago, I would be too worried about the people who would dislike me to consider it, but as I have slowly become more comfortable in Reading, a big part of the growth has been a developed disregard for people who would dislike the true me. As one saying goes: "Those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter."
ReplyDeleteHey Jonathan, nice haircut. I am a buzz cut guy myself and always have been. When my hair gets too long, I get uncomfortable and I feel strange. Since a buzz cut has always been my standard issue hairstyle, I wonder what looks I would get if I could somehow grow out my hair super long overnight. I can not even picture myself with anything other than short hair.
ReplyDeleteHey Jonathan, nice haircut. I am a buzz cut guy myself and always have been. When my hair gets too long, I get uncomfortable and I feel strange. Since a buzz cut has always been my standard issue hairstyle, I wonder what looks I would get if I could somehow grow out my hair super long overnight. I can not even picture myself with anything other than short hair.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised when I saw that you cut your hair. I've never seen you with short hair. It was quite the experience.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to see that you changed your haircut, after so many years of keeping it longer. However, sometimes its good to change things up. I know its hard to actually make that decision, but you just need to go for it like you did. And if you really don't like your new haircut, you can always just shave it all off
ReplyDeleteNice haircut Jonathan. I admire that you were willing to go out of your comfort zone and get the buzzcut after years of maintaining the same hairstyle. I do not think I would be able to let myself get a buzzcut because its been way too long since my hair has been that short and the change would be unsettling to me.
ReplyDeleteJonathan, it was quite shocking to walk into school and see you with no hair as it is a defining feature of yours. That being said, I respect your dedication to the soccer team to shave your hair, although I have not gotten used to it and don't think I will. But, you pose an interesting question. I don't know what my defining feature would be. Probably my extremely small head. But I can't really enlarge that very easily.
ReplyDelete