It’s November. The trees have
finally lost their leaves, the weather is getting colder every day, and Thanksgiving
is right around the corner. That means we are in the heart of football season, and
that means we are in the heart of fantasy football season. This year was the
first time I managed a fantasy football team, yet it feels like something I do
annually and I am excited to start fresh next year and pick a new team
(especially because my team has won a whopping 2 games of 9 so far). While
fantasy football seems like a silly waste of time, it actually is pretty
representative of everyone’s privileges and disadvantages if you think about
it.
Being born is like drafting your
fantasy team- you really do not have much control over it. That great running
back you drafted in the first round? Torn ACL week 1 out for the season. While
drafting a fantasy team is a little bit more skill based than being born, they
both are largely surrounded with luck. After a few weeks, it becomes clear
whose team is going to succeed and whose isn’t. The same goes for life- after
living for a while it becomes clear to you if you are meant to succeed in
society. Be it skin color, gender, or household income, there are many possible
advantages and disadvantages someone can be born into.
Now, if you draft a bad team you
aren’t inherently screwed. You can pick up undrafted players each week who
perform well (because of players ahead of them getting injured or finally
finding their stride). The way my league works is the player with the worst
record gets first dibs at these undrafted players. This allows people who got
unlucky with the draft to improve their team and even the playing field (at
least a little). While life does not have as fair a system of allowing people
who didn’t get a head start to catch up, there are some things in place to
allow the less privileged try to catch up to those who are privileged. Some examples
of these are scholarships and awards for minorities and welfare for the
unemployed. While these systems do not make things even by any means, they
definitely work to make things a little less unfair, just like picking up
undrafted players in fantasy.
Now regardless, not everyone is
going to be as successful as everyone else. As joint second to last in my
league, I can assure you of that. The point is to make the most of what you’re
dealt, and to live life to the fullest (for the sake of the analogy, enjoy
fantasy football as much as you can).
What do you think, reader, is this a good analogy? What's an
analogy that you would use to describe how some people are born into more than
others?
I really like this analogy a lot. I feel like the majority of fantasy football managers are young, white, and privileged males. I would recommend this blog post to some of my privileged fantasy managers in my league to help them understand this concept.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy analogies and I find this one pretty good. I've never been a fan of fantasy football but if you're into that sort of thing you have a strong message never to give up and to always check your fantasy privilege. Time to watch Gostkowski lose the game for us.
ReplyDelete