Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Entitlement

            I want to preface this blog post by saying I’m not a homophobe, nor a racist, nor misogynistic. I think the gay marriage movement is hands down one of the best social reforms of the 21st century. I think women are (on average) harder working and more creative than men. I think everyone should have access to equal opportunities, and if that means giving some a boost then so be it. In other words, I don’t have an issue with anyone because of how they were born or for anything else they have no choice over. With that being said, here is my problem with our generation.

            The main problem with our generation is we are extremely entitled. If anything goes slightly wrong, we need everyone to stop what they’re doing and adjust their ways so we don’t feel a little uncomfortable. The first major issue with this I remember having was fifth grade field day. Originally, parents would cook hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids who would quickly eat them and then return to playing with their friends. The town eventually said the parents needed a permit to be cooking food for the kids, so the school switched to pizza. This went on for several years, until one parent was concerned that her child would feel left out because they are lactose intolerant, and cannot eat pizza. Instead of packing a lunch for their child, perhaps packing something special like candy or a favorite type of sandwich, the parent demanded that the school stop serving pizza. Not only was pizza by far the easiest lunch for the school to provide, it was cheap and a favorite of the kids. Because one kid felt a little uncomfortable, everyone had to have everything changed to suit his needs. A hundred unhappy kids to make one kid feel a little les uncomfortable, does that seem like a fair trade? Will the kid remember what he had to eat a few years down the line? No, he’ll remember having fun with his friends, which is the whole point of field day. In the long run, the change will make no difference to him, but made a difference to all of his classmates and every student who will pass through the school in the future.

            Another example of this in recent history was the graduation gown issue at the high school last year. I’m not going to pretend like I have a grasp of what it’s like to be transgender or pangender, but I don’t think the entire gown color tradition needed to be upset because of one unhappy student. Would it really have been that big of a deal for them to pick one color and wear it for the day? If so, could they not have worn a different color or gotten a gown with both colors on it? Much like the previous situation, hundreds of kids that year and thousands in the future had their lives disrupted to make one kid less uncomfortable. I’m not saying the student should just sit there and be uncomfortable, but there are many solutions available that do not require changing everything for everyone.

            As you can see, the clear issue is one person changing something that inconveniences hundreds more because they feel uncomfortable with something. Quite frankly, if something makes me uncomfortable, I tackle it head on. To me that is an opportunity for growth. I understand not everyone thinks like that, and I accept that. I cannot understand how they can rationalize changing something for so many other people when, in reality, there are many other solutions that would not affect others while still (to varying degrees) quell their discomfort. If we proceed into adulthood still weighing our own comfort over everyone else’s lives, we are going to have a very difficult time functioning as a country both within ourselves and with other countries.


            What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I agree that gay marriage and the progression towards gender equality are one of the greatest social strides we as a nation have made in the 21st century. And I do agree, that this generation can be somewhat entitled, but I'm not sure thats exclusive to 21st century high schoolers. However, where I disagree is on two points. First of all, I would think it would be stupid to ban certain foods because of allergies in high school. But in elementary school, I can kind of see it. Maybe not 5th graders, but younger kids might not know as well how to avoid the foods they are allergic to, and it would look bad on the schools if they weren't able to prevent an allergic reaction. Its not really a social issue, more a health one.

    On the topic of robe color, I'm not sure I see the issue in total with allowing a choice of robes. It doesn't affect anything huge if the robes are free choice, and I don't think anyones lives were affected greatly by the change. In general, it just shows that RMHS is inclusive to people of any gender determination, and it isn't much of a hassle for the students or the school to change this policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food wasn't banned for younger kids though, just the fifth graders at their field day. Instead of all the kids getting pizza for field day, they had to go into the cafeteria and get the school lunch. Lactose intolerance is not like a peanut allergy, so a student with it would be fine as long as they didn't actually eat any of the pizza. (Not to mention schools serve pizza for lunch every friday anyway...)

      As for the robes, I see your point but still don't see why a person confused about gender couldn't pick one color and stick with it (or maybe get a new color) instead of having everyone else having to pick one. In my mind one person picking a color instead of having over 300 pick one and having to reorganize the entire system is a much easier and effective option.

      Delete