Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Apps and Friends

            This week at school, the app “Trivia Crack” has become quite popular after over a year of little to no use. Within a few days, dozens of my friends had returned to the app and were playing it constantly all week. This got me thinking about apps, and how quickly they come and go. It feels like each month there’s a new app that everyone is playing, and most of the time that is the reality. It starts with one or two kids finding a fun new game, and it spreads like wildfire throughout the rest of the school. Within a week everyone is playing the game, and within a few more everyone has stopped because they have grown bored of it.


            There really isn’t any other aspect of our daily lives that comes in and goes out as quickly as apps. I think if we acted with other things like we act with apps, then they would enter and leave our lives just as quickly. For instance, friends would work in much the same way if we treated them like apps. That means we would suddenly hang out with them all the time because our friends were. After hanging out with this new friend non-stop for a few weeks, we would stop hanging out with them after all of our friends have grown bored with them. Thankfully, this is usually not how friendships work, but it definitely does happen. These types of friendships are most common when a group of guys become friends with a group of girls because one of the guys is dating one of the girls (or sometimes more than a few). Very frequently they hang out all the time while the relationships are working, but post break-up the groups very often part ways and don’t look back. Thankfully, most friends are around for much longer and are more dependable, so they aren’t really like apps. 

4 comments:

  1. Nothing dies, comes back from the dead, the dies again like an app. I give credit for the resurgence of trivia crack to a conscious effort by a fellow student who set out to make the app popular again. Also, I've noticed Doodle Jump is so hot right now. Doodle Jump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing dies, comes back from the dead, the dies again like an app. I give credit for the resurgence of trivia crack to a conscious effort by a fellow student who set out to make the app popular again. Also, I've noticed Doodle Jump is so hot right now. Doodle Jump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is extremely interesting how quickly apps come and go. I think it speaks to how we are as a society, as soon as we find something stimulating, we want to use it constantly. However, we get bored quickly of it and move on to something else. But, we then re-find the joy in the original thing. I, for one, am glad interpersonal relationships don't work that way. It would be too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If friends cycled like apps, life would be very different and definitely not as enjoyable. Thankfully they don't, and sometimes friendships last for a lifetime. However, I like your point about friendgroups that started with dating. I can think of a couple of groups like that which can be easily dissolved by a break-up.

    ReplyDelete