This week we finished reading
Winesburg, Ohio. Throughout the book, several events that signified George
Willard growing up occurred. From the beginning of the book, George wanted to
be accepted as an adult in society. He tries many different things to
transition into adulthood, most notably trying to seduce several girls. In the
story “Nobody Knows,” George loses his virginity to Louise Trunnion, but
afterwards regrets it a little as he does not actually like her. As he walks
home that night, he continuously says that she has nothing on him, reinforcing
to himself that losing his virginity to her does not give her power over him. The
issue within this is that George lost his v-card in the first place because he
thought it would help him become a man, but after the fact he feels no more of
a man, perhaps even less of one, than he did before.
The next big step George takes
towards manhood in society’s eye is getting in a fight. George is pursuing
Belle Carpenter, but so is Ed Handby. Ed swoops in to win Belle from George,
and George tries to fight him. Ed swats George aside into a nearby bush and
goes off into the night with Belle. Fighting is often looked at as something
that signifies being tough and a man, but George fails at this. This makes the
reader wonder- is George really ready for adulthood? His experience with Louise
is in the same vein as this, and makes you question if he really is ready for what
he is getting himself into.
This theme applies very well to my
life and the lives of my classmates right now, as we prepare ourselves for a
transition away from home to and independent environment. Do you feel as if you’re
ready for adulthood?
I think me and George are in the same boat, we will not become adults until we leave and go out on our own. I am certainly no adult now, but I will have to force myself to become one in order to live away from home during school for the next few years. I hope it works out for me.
ReplyDeleteJonathan, I liked this post because it explains a very important theme in the story. This was a perfect time in our lives to read this book because we understand what George is going through. While Nabokov said that we shouldn't try to identify with a character, I think sometimes this can be important in understanding their motives for doing things. I may not have understood so clearly why George was trying these crazy things to become an adult if I wasn't feeling the same rush to become one myself. Though I may not be doing the same things as George like fighting or losing my "v-card" as you politely stated, I am still trying to make myself confident in my ability to leave Reading and live on my own.
ReplyDelete